Welcome on behalf of the Glow Worms and Water Voles of the Trap Grounds. Here you can discover what makes this patch of wilderness in suburban north Oxford so special, and why we campaigned all the way to the House of Lords to register it as a Town Green.
Click on the relevant pages to find a full list of the threatened and protected species that live on the site … the texts of the legal verdicts in the Public Inquiry, the High Court, the Court of Appeal, and the House of Lords … and details of how you can join The Friends Of The Trap Grounds and help to preserve six acres of reed bed and scrub land for conservation, recreation, and education.
The site lies between the canal and the railway line, immediately south of the Frenchay Road canal bridge (off Woodstock Road) at grid ref. SP 503081 (see map). An information board marks the entrance to the site, at the start of a track called Frog Lane. Click here for a map of the habitats and other features.
We need help with conservation work on Wednesday 18 January (postponed from previous week), any time from 11 am to 3 pm … and on Sunday 29 January and Sunday 5 March any time from 10 am to 4 pm. Tools… Read the rest »
SATURDAY 19 NOVEMBER, 9.30 am to 12.30 pm: preparing the ground for planting 50 trees on SUNDAY 4 DECEMBER, 10 am to 4 pm. Come for as long as you like. Rain will not deter us! Tools and hot drinks… Read the rest »
On Sunday 9 October, please come any time between 10 am and 4 pm to help us scythe reeds, clear rubbish from of the woodland, and uproot invasive brambles in the meadows. On Sunday 4 December (same times), we will be planting… Read the rest »
There will be tasks for all abilities at a series of work parties on the Trap Grounds during the summer months. Tools will be provided. Please wear tough footwear, and bring bottles of water and sun cream if the weather is hot… Read the rest »
- Nicola Devine: Two Water Rails skulking near the boardwalk; Bullfinches and Kingfishers very active.
- Nicola Devine: Snowdrops and Winter Heliotrope in flower in the woodland. Two Kingfishers very active. Five Teal still present.
- Catherine Robinson: Thanks Silvana. I doubt if these are two of the missing cygnets, which were still in their mottled plumage before…
- Silvana: I saw a lone adult swan on the canal near the Trap Grounds. A few minutes later, with a loud…
- Nicki: TWO Adult swans... One on Swan Pond, other on Canal, eventually joining each other on the canal. Also 2…
- Tom Evans: Three teal, but mine were two males and a female not the 1m/2f noted earlier today. Also, four water rails…